Sunday, June 26, 2011

Alas I Post Again...

So I completed another project around the house!

It was a somewhat spur-of-the-moment-sitting-at-home-Saturday-afternoon-trying-to-find-something-to-do-while-Jessica-was-at-work-type of project:

I decided to build a side fence

Currently, our side fence is more than dilapidated..it's been a concern since we started looking at the house. So when we moved in, for a quick fix, I just stuck a piece of plywood back there to at least make it possible to keep Toby (that's my dog) from escaping.

I had found a pre-made fence panel that would work in the space but I started to piece out the price of building one myself and found that it was if not cheaper, right around the same price, and where's the fun and experience in buying a pre-made panel?!

So I took off to Home Depot, and here it is!

So first I built this frame of 4x4's for the posts and 1x3's to hold the fence slats.

To get the distance apart and the height of the slats all the same, I used a coupe of jigs: I found a die from our LCR game that was just the size that I needed and then nailed two pieces of wood (the right of the picture) at the distance that I wanted and lined each piece up to it.

And here's the finished product! It's still sitting on my back patio like a wood deck (ps have you seen the "Deck" bit by Blue Collar Comedy?! Hilarious. Inappropriate but hilarious. It's a free country, look it up if you want. But I didn't tell you too...do it!)

I will post before and after pics when I actually get it in it's place! All in all with lumber and nails: about $58...not too bad in my opinion!

1 comment:

  1. Great looking fence!! What's that PVC doing behind it??????? hahahahahaha...I'm cracking myself up

    ReplyDelete